After visiting the Sky Apple Café last week I decided to try and recreate the Sweet Potato Burgers I had tried there as they were so delicious! It took a couple of attempts to get these right but I’m really happy with the way these turned out. The burgers are tasty and satisfying and are very easy to prepare and cook. This is a lovely light and summery meal to have on a weekday evening and only takes around 40 minutes to make, including prep and cooking time. Happy days! I hope you enjoy 🙂
To make 4 medium burgers…
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1/2 red onion chopped finely
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tbsp sweet corn
- handful of panko breadcrumbs
- handful of fresh coriander
- salt and pepper
- Peel the sweet potato into even slices and put into the microwave for 10 minutes or until soft. NB: I boiled my sweet potato on the first attempt and found that the potatoes retained too much moisture, despite being drained, so the burgers did not hold their shape once cooked.
- Mash the potato up with a fork and mix through the rest of the ingredients until evening distributed.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper, brush olive oil on the tray.
- Mould out four evenly sized burgers and place them on the tray.
- Cook for 25 minutes in a 200 degree oven, flipping over half way through. Take out once crispy on the outside.
I served the burgers with kale which I had sautéed in salt and pepper, along with some avocado, sweet corn and a cashew nut dressing (recipe below). I also think these burgers would be great served in a bun with hot salsa and guacamole.
Cashew Nut Dressing
- 1 cup of cashews, soaked
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tsp mixed herbs
- 1.5 tbsp apple cidar vinegar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- black pepper
- 1 cup of water (add slowly to desired consistency)
- Soak the cashew nuts in hot water for at least 15 minutes
- Put all of the ingredients, apart from the water, in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Add cold water slowly until it reaches your desired consistency for salad dressing.